Oktoberfest is finally here! Wondering which Oktoberfest events to attend? Here’s a list of options in GA.
If you want to celebrate Oktoberfest this year, then look no further because you’ve found a great list of Oktoberfest events taking place in GA for the 2016 festival season. As most people know Oktoberfest is a 200-year-old tradition dating back to the early 1800s in Bavaria (a southern state in Germany). What began as a royal wedding transformed into a public “fun festival” where people set up games and played music, while celebrating and enjoying Bavarian art, cuisine, and of course, beer. It’s one of the biggest festivals celebrated every year, and if you ever have a chance to go, don’t miss it!
However, if you can’t get all the way to Munich to enjoy the official Bavarian party no worries because there are plenty of Oktoberfest events held all around the world. For those of you living in Georgia (or who want to make a trip) here is a quick list of Oktoberfest events nearby…
Der Biergarten – Atlanta, GA
- This Atlanta restaurant is featuring a month-long celebration of Oktoberfest by serving up a different beer every week on draft from the traditional Oktoberfest style of beer. Starting September 17th and running through October 22nd, every Saturday they will perform a ceremonial tapping of the keg (like in Munich) for each new beer they put on draft, followed by live music from German Oompah bands. Learn more here.
Stone Mountain Village Oktoberfest – Stone Mountain, GA
- For the 5th year in a row, people will be celebrating Oktoberfest at Stone Mountian. Over the next three Saturdays (Sept 24th, October 1st, and October 8th) from 12-9pm you can go and enjoy traditional German food and beer, while also enjoying rides, art, and other festival activities. Learn more here.
Oktoberfest on River Street – Savannah, GA
- October 7-9th Savannah will be celebrating their own Oktoberfest events on historic River Street. There will be Bratwurst Tasting, Oompah music and dancing, also a German-inspired beer garden with German food and a variety of beers for any taste. Also, don’t forget to catch the Wiener Dog Races! Learn more here.
Oktoberfest Atlanta – Sandy Springs, GA
- If you didn’t get your fill of Oktoberfest on River Street in Savannah then you can head up to Atlanta and join in on the fun and celebration in Sandy Springs on Saturday, October 15th. Enjoy a variety of German food, music, and beer. Lederhosen always welcome! Learn more here.
Macon Oktoberfest – Macon, GA
- “From brown ales to IPAs to stouts, seasonals, and more, the libations will be flowing all weekend long, backed by a soundtrack of all Georgia bands.” This quote from their website is all it should take for any GA craft beer enthusiast. Learn more here.
Helen 46th Oktoberfest – Helen, GA
- And, of course, no Georgia Oktoberfest events list would be complete without mentioning the Oktoberfest held every year in Helen, GA. A normal weekend in this quaint little town can look like a hazy version of Oktoberfest, so you better believe they go big when the season is officially here! Learn more here.
– Marzen Up, SlyePup
P.S. Not going to make it to an Oktoberfest event, but want a good local GA seasonal brew? No worries, check out my post from last week with a list of Georgia brewery Fall seasonals here.