We are well into 2018, lets learn a bit about February.
It’s already February! I was born in February and would like to share a few interesting facts about the month of my birth.
- February is named after the purification ritual Februa, which was a sort of early Roman spring cleaning festival.
- February frequently occurs in lists of the most commonly misspelt words in the English language.
- Groundhog Day is celebrated every year on February 2nd. It is said on this day, when the groundhog comes out of his deep sleep, if he sees his shadow it means there will be six more weeks of winter. If there is no shadow to be seen, spring is near.
- February ends on the same day of the week as October every year.
- Americans celebrate the birth of two presidents in February, as well as Black History Month. Mexicans celebrate Flag Day in February, while residents of St. Lucia celebrate their Independence Day.
- Before Julius Caesar’s calendar reform of 45BC, February was the only month with an even number of days. All the rest had 29 or 31.
- February is the only month that can pass with no full moon. And, 2018 is one of the years it will happen!
- The birthstone for February is amethyst. The ancient Greeks believed that amethyst protected the wearer from drunkenness.
- The birth flower is the violet or iris.
- Charles Robert Darwin (the discoverer of evolution) was born in Shrewsbury on the 12th of February 1809. He was born on the same day as Abraham Lincoln.
Hope you enjoyed the interesting February facts!
– Learn Up, SlyePup