Warning: session_start() expects parameter 1 to be array, string given in /home/elliott7/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 286
Interesting Thanksgiving Facts -

Interesting Thanksgiving Facts

Interesting Thanksgiving Facts

Interesting Thanksgiving Facts

Well, Thanksgiving is only about a week away, and as many of you know I enjoy random facts. So today’s post will be going through several interesting Thanksgiving facts that you can share with friends and family over the next week. Hopefully, you’ll be spending your week with the people you care about and take some time to relax. Hope you enjoy!

  • When Abe Lincoln declared Thanksgiving a national holiday, it was thanks to the tireless efforts of a magazine editor named Sarah Josepha Hale. Her other claim to fame? She also wrote the nursery rhyme, “Mary Had a Little Lamb.”
  • Thanksgiving is not just an American holiday. Canadians celebrate it too. Except they do it the second Monday in October.
  • If Ben Franklin had his way, the turkey would be our national bird. An eagle, he wrote in a letter to his daughter, had “bad moral character.” A turkey, on the other hand, was a “much more respectable bird.”
  • The first Thanksgiving was eaten with spoons and knives — but no forks! That’s right, forks weren’t even introduced to the Pilgrims until 10 years later and weren’t a popular utensil until the 18th century.
  • Each year, the president of the U.S pardons a turkey and spares it from being eaten for Thanksgiving dinner. The first turkey pardon ceremony started with President Truman in 1947.
  • The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade began in 1924 with 400 employees marching from Convent Ave to 145th street in New York City. No large balloons were at this parade, as it featured only live animals from Central Park Zoo.
  • Minnesota produces more turkeys than any other state in the U.S., raising close to 46 million in 2015, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
  • The National Turkey Foundation (NTF) estimates that around 88 percent of Americans eat turkey on Thanksgiving, and about 46 million turkeys were consumed on the holiday in 2015.
  • While domesticated turkeys cannot fly, wild turkeys can, for short distances, and at up to 55 miles per hour!
  • The average turkey purchased for Thanksgiving weighs 16 lbs. White meat makes up 70 percent of turkeys, while dark meat makes up the other 30 percent.

So no matter what you’re doing I hope you have a great week. Find some good beer, good food, and good company!

– Be Thankful, SylePup


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *